Tuesday 3 January 2012

Happy Birthday, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien!

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Bilbo Baggins

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (3 January 1892 – 2 September 1973)
Middle-Earth
I am a proud owner of "The Silmarillion" and "The Lord of the Rings" books. I don't care that they are in russian, cause they are still awesome.
Front covers "The Silmarillion" is on top
A shot of the fisrt chapter of "The Silmarillion"
"The Fellowship of the Ring"
Map of Middle-Earth
A shot of the Prologue for 'The Lord of the Rings"
A shot of the first chapter of "The Lord of the Rings"
Ok, I couldn't possibly miss this day. J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday. Of many books I love his books will always be my most loved ones and every fantasy book I'll read will be always compared to his books.

The only thing I truly regret is that I didn't discover the books when I was little, but only after I watched the movies. I was 17 back then. This makes me think how would I possibly imagine Tolkien's world, because the only thing I can imagine now is Peter Jackson's vision, showed in the movies. On the other hand, if it wasn't for the movies I would probably never find out about the books, so I think I should be grateful for what I have :)

My huge wish now is to by all J.R.R. Tolkien's books in english, which is kinda difficult now, because we don't have them here. Now I have "The Silmarillion" and "The Lord of the Rings" in russian only, which is not that bad. The translation is pretty good :) But I'm looking forward to read them in original (and not e-book puhlease).

Anyway, I publish this post on professor Tolkien's birthday as a gratitude for the work he has done and the legacy he had left to the world. Thank you for showing us Middle-Earth. Thank you for teaching us how to dream. Thank you for discovering another side of this world.

Thank you for finding a home for the hopeless dreamers like me.

I believe in Middle-Earth. It will forever be my home.

Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment